The classic deli reuben made vegan with flavorful tempeh, plant-based russian dressing, and crunchy slaw. All served on gluten-free toasted bread. This meal packs the protein, texture, and maximum satisfaction.
TEMPEH REUBENS! If you eat plant-based, I’m sure you have heard of /tried this sandwich before. It is my absolute favorite way to enjoy tempeh, and whenever it’s on a (usually vegetarian) restaurant menu, I immediately order it. The flavor, texture, and satisfaction factors are spot on and I always leave feeling like I NEED to recreate it at home.
After enjoying this sandwich last weekend at the Jolly Pumpkin, I decided it was about time I tried it out. We had some tempeh leftover from these bowls, so I decided to marinate and saute it up, mix up a russian dressing, and a simple vegan slaw. It was so much easier than expected and every bit as delicious as the restaurant classic, but entirely made of plants. Win-win.
If you’re wondering what exactly tempeh is – it’s a fermented vegetarian soy product, full of probiotics and flavor. It’s best when marinated as it takes up whatever flavor it’s immersed in, and then sautéed or baked for crispiness. I love it for a textured alternative to tofu, and an inexpensive alternative to meat. If you’ve never tried it before, this is the perfect recipe to start 🙂 I get mine at Whole Foods or Kroger (lightlife brand) or from my local Zingerman’s (there is an Ann Arbor brand if you live here!), but I know Trader Joe’s sells it as well (this version is NOT gluten-free for those of you avoiding gluten).
I toasted up Udi’s bread, and these sandwiches came together in 10 minutes. Seriously! That easy. A lovely dinner option that we enjoyed on their own, but I think sweet potato fries or chips would make a great side. And of course a pickle.
If you try these, make sure to tag me on instagram! I love seeing your creations
- 4 slices gluten-free bread
- 1-2 Tbsp vegan butter
- ½ block tempeh (4 oz., ensure gluten-free if needed)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp tamari(gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Russian dressing
- ⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 1 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp hot sauce
- Vegan swiss cheese, if desired
- Simple Vegan Slaw
- 1 bag slaw (or 1 cup each sliced red cabbage, green cabbage, and shredded carrots)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ lemon, squeezed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- Begin by slicing tempeh into 8 strips and mixing together marinade, letting tempeh marinate at least 20 minutes and up to one hour.
- Make your slaw by combining all ingredients and refrigerating.
- Whisk together ingredients for russian dressing and refrigerate.
- Spread vegan butter on both sides of bread and toast in a pan until crispy on each side.
- Next, saute tempeh in pan for 4 minutes per side on medium heat.
- Make sandwich by layering russian dressing on one slice of toasted bread, adding 4 slices of tempeh, adding vegan cheese, sauerkraut, or slaw as desired and topping with other slice of bread.
Best when fresh, but leftovers last 2-3 days separated.