I bring you example number 1257893 of how delicious vegan food can be. A vegan broccoli salad that no one would know isn’t the real mayo-licious thing.
I love broccoli salad, I always have. I think it makes the perfect side dish, and is so nostalgic for picnics and potlucks. It keeps well, and all the flavors and textures make it a great alternative to traditional lettuce based salads.
We made an incredible version over the holidays, and I knew I wanted to veganize it. I thought of all the usual suspects: cashews, vegan mayo, vegan yogurt, but landed on tahini. For its simplicity, rich taste, and tanginess. I was so right.
Guys, this salad is AMAZING.
SO. STINKIN. SIMPLE. See something you don’t like? Swap it out! Or use up ingredients you have. Easy peasy.
Chop up broccoli florets, mix up the dressing (simply tahini, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, garlic, salt, and pepper) and toss. 10 minutes, tops. It tastes even better once sitting in the fridge, but we ate it right away alongside my Best Veggie Burgers. Jake quickly ate it up, and then went back for more. And I had it for lunch the next day. WIN-WIN.
This recipe is simple, vegan, healthy, easy, and delicious. It’s nothing fancy, but somehow works like a dream. Easily make swaps based on what you have and enjoy it now, or bring it to a potluck. Whatever you choose, I know you will love it.
- 1 head broccoli, florets, chopped
- 3 radishes, sliced
- 3 stalks green onion, sliced
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup shelled sunflower seeds
- Tahini Dressing
- ⅓ cuptahini (The cheapest I've found is Trader Joe's and it's very good, but the one linked is my favorite)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (or sub lemon juice)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or sub honey)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼-1/2 tsp sea salt
- Chop broccoli florets, radishes, and green onion. Mix up in a bowl with raisins and sunflower seeds.
- Whisk together (or use a blender) tahini, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, garlic, pepper, and salt. Taste and adjust, adding more olive oil or water until preferred consistency is reached. Keep in mind the mixture will thicken in the fridge slightly.
- Toss dressing over salad and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
Swap out ingredients based on your preferences.