Pumpkin cream cheese swirl muffins: warm, pillowy muffins with a cream cheese touch. Somewhere between a muffin and a meringue, this treat is made with whole ingredients and enough sweetness to satisfy a craving.
But, Karlie–you might say–it’s December…isn’t pumpkin season over? Then I would ask you this: what are you going to do with all the leftover cans of pumpkin you bought but never got around to using? And why is it that we can only enjoy pumpkin one month a year? Exactly. So when deciding what treat I wanted to bake up for the week, I landed on these. Even though they did not come out exactly like I expected, I think they turned out amazing! Upon my second trial, I decided to improve upon the texture they had taken on, and I was so happy with the results, I licked the spoon clean. Plus, when I opened the oven and the muffins had grown to twice their size–all the while emitting an intoxicating aroma–I knew these were a success.
Pumpkin muffins are improved with a cream cheese swirl, which acts like a meringue that bakes up inside the muffin batter. This gives them a pillowy, almost cloud-like consistency when they’re done. So simple and pure, meringue makes for the lightest cookies, and adding that element to these muffins is just perfect. With a crisp muffin top, slightly chewy center, and a subtle sweetness, these muffins are a melt-in-your-mouth delight.
The only suggestion I received from my official taste tester, was that they could use a bit more pumpkin. I personally love the cream cheese flavor, but if you like extra pumpkin–I would suggest mixing 2 tbsp with the cream cheese and swirling that in. It won’t have the same stark contrast of color and flavor, but I think it will work quite well.
- 1 c all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ½ c almond flour
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- ½ c water
- ¼ c maple syrup
- 2flax eggs (2 Tbsp flax meal + 5 Tbsp water sit for 5 minutes)
- ¼ c coconut oil, melted
- ½ Tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese (I used Trader Joe's
- 2 tsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or pumpkin puree- have not tried this option)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and line muffin tin with liners or cooking spray.
- Combine flax meal and water to make flax egg, let sit 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients BEFORE cream cheese in a separate mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into muffin tins.
- Mix together vegan cream cheese and almond milk (or pumpkin) and microwave 20 second to soften. Place ~1 tsp on top of each muffin and use a toothpick to swirl.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until knife comes out clean.
- Let cool at least 20 minutes, and serve.
If not vegan, can use 2 eggs in place of 2 flax eggs, regular cream cheese, and regular milk with 1:1 substitutions.