Not much is as universally nostalgic as the smell of fresh baked bread. Banana, zucchini, carrot.. you name it and I love it. Baking is so relaxing and one of my favorite ways to take care of myself. I get to do something I love and enjoy a warm slice of bread afterward. Win- win, eh?
I’m baking this just as I’m about to head home for a few days. Everything about Thanksgiving is magical to me. Being home with my family, cooking, watching movies, drinking hot cocoa, and sitting outside with a fire burning will forever remind me of being home for the holidays. It’s an escape for the day to day worries and just the re-charge we all need this time of year. I certainly learned my love of baking from the women in my family and I can’t wait to share this season with them.
This bread starts with the class “morning glory muffin” recipe: coconut, nuts, raisins, and grated carrot. I then adapted it to my go-to gluten free bread ratio and subbed applesauce and almond milk for some of the sugar and oil. The result? Delicious, fresh baked sweet bread wafting from the oven. A crunchy crust with a gooey inside. Not too sweet, certainly not dry, and perfect for your favorite toppings. I used coconut whipped cream, but nut butter, butter, jam, or cream cheese would be perfect too.
Enjoy a slice for breakfast, as an afternoon pick me up, or after dinner treat. Always pair with hot cup of coffee (or tea!) And definitely, definitely share with family and give them an extra hug of gratitude today.
- 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 flax eggs (2TB flax meal + 5 TB water)- or sub 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground Ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground Nutmeg
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- ¼ unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- Add-ins: 1 cup grated carrot (I used 2 large), ¼ cup shredded coconut, ¼ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), ¼ cup pecans, ¼ cup golden raisins
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and coat a loaf pan with cooking spray or parchment paper.
- Make flax egg: mix 2 Tbs flax meal with 5 Tbs water and let sit for 5 minutes
- Mix dry ingredients: gluten free all purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices in a large mixing bowl
- To the flax egg, add maple syrup, almond milk, olive oil, and applesauce
- Mix the wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just barely combined
- Mix in add ins
- Scoop into prepared loaf pan and bake for one hour. (If you prefer muffins, use a muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes)
- Let cool for ten minutes, slice and enjoy!