A Tuesday morning seems like as good a time as any to share a biscuit recipe with you all. I’ve been playing around with this recipe for a few months now. Not even because I’m a huge biscuit person and missed them so much (I’m from Michigan after all), but because I love trying new gluten-free bread products. I’d been dreaming of a buttery breakfast sandwich, or a jam filled biscuit, so I decided to try my hand at it. And now I am a huge biscuit person, go figure.
My first attempt was a strict combination of Ashlae’s recipe for coconut-oil biscuits and Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free biscuit mix. Easy-peasy. I loved them! I didn’t quite get the shape right, but we ate them up none the less. After that point the biscuit craving was there and couldn’t be shaken. I’ve finally found my perfect gluten-free vegan biscuit recipe!
Fluffy, buttery, flaky biscuits made entirely gluten-free and vegan. They only require 8 ingredients, all things you will have in your pantry, and 20 minutes to make. Here are some tips from my biscuit making experience:
- Mix the dough with your fingers, it works better than a spoon.
- Roll the dough into a large square, and fold it in third longways, and then thirds in the opposite direction, to achieve a nice a layered biscuit.
- Use the top of a wine glass (or a biscuit cutter if you have one!) to make circular shapes. The leftover dough can be rolled to make more biscuits (albeit less fluffy) or simply into a crescent roll shape.
- Brush vegan buttermilk (almond milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar) over the top for a crispy outer crust.
I am in love with these gluten-free vegan biscuits and I know you will be too. If you make them, tag me at @karlcooks_. Speaking of Instagram- I have a GoMacro bar giveaway happening right now, head to my page and enter! xx Karlie
- 2½ cups all purpose gluten-free flour (that contains xantham gum)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup coconut oil, room temp
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ¾ cup buttermilk, cold (combine ¾ cup non-dairy milk with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Extra buttermilk, for brushing tops of biscuits
- Pre-heat oven to 425F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix together. Add room temperature coconut oil to mixture in 1 inch drops scattered throughout. Use your fingertips to combine with the dry mixture until a crumbly consistency forms.
- In a separate bowl, combine melted coconut oil, buttermilk, and apple cider vinegar. Pour over dry mixture and combine until a dough ball forms.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface into a large rectangle. Fold into thirds longways and then thirds again in the opposite direction to get a square. Cut into 6-8 biscuits, see tips and photos in blog post.
- Place on a baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper and brush the tops with extra buttermilk.
- Bake 14 minutes, until they are golden brown and have risen slightly.