Strawberry hand pies: a buttery, flaky crust, filled with fresh strawberry jam makes for the most delectably Spring time treat, all while being gluten and dairy-free. Delicious, simple, healthier strawberry pop tarts, or hand pies, to make today!
Happy Saturday! I am SO EXCITED to share these strawberry hand pies with you because Jake and I went bananas over them. They are absolutely delicious – and look beautifully intricate, but they’re actually so simple!
I used the same dough I showed you in my galette, and it worked wonderfully, further marking itself as my perfect pie crust. I mixed up some fresh strawberry jam and it made me even more excited for this seasons produce. As a side note, we used pre-made strawberry jam (made by my grandmother) in one of the batches and it worked perfectly! Which makes it even more simple to make this fun little treat, by using store-bought jam rather than homemade. Both were wonderful.
As the name suggests, they’re easy to hold in your hand as an on the go breakfast or snack, but the sweet strawberry jam and coconut oil crust made it a delightful dessert that we enjoyed once or twice as well. With a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
They stay together, taste incredible, and couldn’t be easier to make. With only 10 ingredients (less if you use storebought jam) and 30 minutes, these strawberry hand pies are surprisingly simple and would make a wonderful Spring or Easter treat.
Switch it up by using your favorite fruit compote, or even nutella (!!) for a more dessert-esque feel. Did I mention these are free of refined sugar? So they are basically healthy pop tarts. Enjoy!
- Strawberry Jam (or use pre-made)
- 1.5 cups strawberries
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp flax meal
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup ice water (add 3 ice cubes to ¼ cup water)
- ¼ cup buttermilk (1/4 cup almond milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar)
- Optional: almond milk and coconut sugar for brushing before baking
- Glaze (optional)
- ½ c powdered sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅛ tsp salt
- To begin, prepare the crust by mixing together dry ingredients.
- Add coconut oil in 1 inch clumps and mix in with your fingertips until a dry crumble results.
- Measure out ¼ cup ice water and mix with ¼ cup buttermilk, then slowly pour into mixture and combine well until a dough forms. If too wet, add more flour. If too crumbly, add more water.
- Roll into a ball and refrigerate about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your jam, by cooking strawberries in a pot over medium heat about 5 minutes until softened, add in other ingredients and mix until well combined and desired consistency is reached, about 10 minutes total. Place in refrigerator to chill until ready.
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Roll out dough about ¼ inch thick on a lightly floured surface and cut into 12 equal rectangles. If dough breaks, simply use fingers to pinch it back together to eliminate holes in the dough.
- Place a spoonful of jam on half of the rectangles and place the other half on top.
- Use a fork to press the edges together to seal the hand pies.
- Place hand pies carefully on a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat and brush with a bit of almond milk and sprinkle with coconut sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until tops are golden brown and any escaped jam is bubbling.
- Combine ingredients for glaze, adding more or less almond milk for desired consistency. When hand pies are cooled, drizzle glaze over top.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!
Use any kind of jam or fruit you want for filling!