My go-to gluten free pizza crust, with 6 simple ingredients, perfect for make ahead meals and weeknight dinners. This recipe is topped with a fresh, Spring pesto made from pistachios, peas, and parsley, and is out of this world delicious.
Today’s a savory recipe, everyone’s favorite – PIZZA! Pizza is a meal we eat every week without fail. Sometimes we make it at home, sometimes it’s frozen, and sometimes it’s from a restaurant. I’m so fortunate to live in a town with no less than 5 gluten free pizza joints, but it has certainly not always been this way. I went many years being gluten-free without pizza and I am very happy to say that is no longer the case.
This gluten free pizza came together from a very simple combination of ingredients: white rice flour, tapioca starch, and brown rice flour. These are flours I keep in my kitchen regularly, and while it seems like a lot of ingredients, the texture and flavor come out so much better than using a pre-made gluten-free mix. I wouldn’t recommend subbing these flours out, but you could try these two recipes I enjoy, or buy a pre-made crust mix or even a pre-made crust!
After your crust is ready, and has baked for a bit, it’s time for PESTO! I decided to go with pesto after being inspired by all of the fresh Spring greenery, and this one is a combination of pistachios, peas, parsley, parmesan (how’s that for alliteration?), garlic, salt, and olive oil. It has a way of tasting sweet, salty, and fresh, while also being reminiscent of the classic sauce. It’s a bit thicker than many pestos, making it perfect for spreading over pizza crust.
If pesto isn’t you thing, I also made a version with a simple pizza sauce, cherry tomatoes, and Daiya dairy-free mozzarella. Both were fantastic, but I am partial to the pesto. I hope you get a chance to try this pizza, maybe even make a few crusts to freeze for pizza night any night of the week. Enjoy!
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ¾ tsp xantham gum
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds or flax seeds (optional)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup raw pistachios
- ½ cup cooked green peas (if frozen, gently soak in warm water until thawed)
- 1 cup parsley
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan (or use regular parmesan)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the crust: combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix. Add in olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and water and mix until dough forms. Roll into a large bowl and set aside.
- Make your pesto by combining all ingredients in a food processor until desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle olive oil over dough ball. Lightly coat a pizza stone or baking sheet with oil and plop your dough down, rolling it out into 2 small pizzas.
- Bake about 25 minutes, until it starts to appear dry but not browned.
- Remove from oven and spread pesto (or pizza sauce), desired toppings, and cheese. You will have leftover pesto.
- Bake for another 20 minutes until golden brown and toppings are warm and bubbly.
- Slice immediately and serve.
If freezing crust, remove after baking 25 minutes before adding toppings, wrap in plastic and store in freezer until ready to use. When ready, thaw in oven then add toppings and bake 20 minutes as directed.