Classic lemon poppyseed bread, made gluten-free and vegan! With wholesome ingredients like oats, almond flour, and coconut oil, it’s a snack that will leave you feeling satisfied and nostalgic for this favorite sweet treat.
LEMON POPPYSEED BREAD. One of my favorite sweet treats, and I can’t believe it’s the first time making it at home. I remember lemon poppyseed bread as being the big muffins (Costco style) or mini muffins. Both versions were amazing and I couldn’t get enough of the lemon flavor, crunchy poppyseed, and sweet glaze.
I’m happy to report that this recipe worked seamlessly with my go-to gluten-free flours. And we’ve been enjoying a slice or two a day ever since. I made my version with almond flour, oats, gluten-free flour, and applesauce, plus coconut-oil, honey, and a whole lemon. And of course poppyseed. Simple from the ground ingredients make the loaf even more crave able (if that’s possible) thanks to its good for you quality.
However, paying homage to the original recipe, I couldn’t help myself and topped it with a sweet, lemony glaze. Needless to say, it added just the right amount of sweetness and nostalgia to my favorite treat.
This recipe is simple, but flavorful, 100% plant based and gluten-free, but full of the lemon poppyseed flavor we all know and love. It’s good enough to bring to a potluck, or savor for yourself all week long. Bonus: make it in a muffin or donut pan for a new take and easier transport on the go.
However you make it, brew yourself a cup of hot tea and enjoy. And be sure to tag me on instagram if you do!
- 2 flax eggs- 2 Tbsp flax meal + 5 Tbsp water (or 2 eggs)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup applesauce
- ¾ cup plant milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 Tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- ⅔ cup gluten-free oats
- ½ cup almond meal(or ½ cup almond ground in a blender)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds (or chia seeds in a pinch)
- ½ cup powdered sugar + 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the flax meal and water and set aside 5-10 min to make the flax egg.
- Mix together melted coconut oil, applesauce, milk, and honey. Add in flax egg once ready.
- One at a time, mix in oats, almond meal, gluten-free flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- Add lemon zest, juice, and poppy seeds. Mix well.
- Pour into baking pan lined with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake 45 minutes, until top is slightly browned and knife comes out clean.
- Let cool 20 minutes. Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice for glaze and pour over once cool.
Store in fridge for a week or freezer for a month.
Screaming for Spring.