Happy New Year! I hope everyone’s hangovers aren’t too bad, and if they are – breakfast always helps, right? We make waffles every Sunday because I love them, they make the morning feel special, and they are so easy. I know, not cereal easy, but these gluten free chickpea waffles have only 8 ingredients and takes 15 minutes to throw together. They require one bowl + the waffle maker, so clean up is easy. Even better, you can make these waffles for someone special, and they can provide the coffee and clean-up 😉
We ended up having a very low key New Years Eve after an extra busy holiday season, and it was perfect. We ordered Indian food, made some champagne whiskey smash, and watched my favorite New Years broadcast on CNN. I can’t help it that I love Kathy Griffin and Anderson Cooper. The ridiculousness makes me laugh out loud, and Anderson is the cutest. It’s one of those things I hate to love and love to hate. We did miss the Mariah Carey fiasco, however, and all I have to say is poor Mariah. We still love ya girl.
This morning was spent sleeping in, cozying up with a cup of coffee and a stack of waffles, and relaxing. 2017 is going to amazing for so many reasons. My best friend is getting married (!!!), there will be more travels, and I’ll begin my final year of dental school. I’m not in to resolutions, but if you’ve ever heard the Sporkful podcast, they talk about New Years Food Resolutions. People resolve to eat more of something they love in the coming year. I can get on board with that. My New Years food resolution is to eat more waffles. I’d say I’m well on my way.
These waffles are fluffy with a crunchy exterior, just they way I like them. They are gluten-free with a decent amount of protein thanks to the chickpea flour. They’re also vegan, but can be made otherwise if that’s not your thing. They are simple and so delicious, a perfect template for all of your favorite toppings. Happy New Year, happy eating <3
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ¼ cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted (or oil of choice)
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flax meal + 2.5 Tbsp water mixed in a bowl) (or a regular egg)
- Make flax egg by combining 1 Tbsp flax meal and 2.5 Tbsp water in a bowl for 5 minutes.
- Heat up waffle maker.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add in almond milk, water and vanilla, mix together.
- Add in melted coconut oil and mix well. Add in flax egg and mix well.
- Spray waffle maker with cooking spray. Pour batter into waffle maker and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
These freeze well for future breakfasts. Simply pop into a toaster and enjoy.
Maple syrup not optional.