So excited to share these fluffy little muffins 💃
They are deliciously fluffy, moist, and full of blueberry-beet flavor. Aka earthy & sweet and wonderful. The inspiration for these muffins came after having cooked beets in my fridge after the weekend farmer’s market. Also, can we talk about how excited I am that the market is back? It’s the best part of my Saturday, always. Browsing the stands, talking to farmers, trying new vegetables and treats. It’s my happy place and my favorite way to start the day.
Since it’s still early Spring, pickings are rather slim, but beets are out in full force. I bought a bundle and not knowing what I wanted to do, peeled them and boiled them. About one hour on medium-low (just make sure they are fork tender and they will be done). So easy! I kept them in the fridge and added them to smoothies for a few days (try it, with berries!), then decided it was time to bake.
I’ve seen chocolate beet muffins plenty of times, but I’m partial to fruit-laden desserts over chocolate so I didn’t want to go that route. I also wanted them to be FLUFFY – big, cafe style muffins. Not the healthy little nuggets I usually go for.
Well, I was a bit too ambitious because the first try was a flop. Literally, they just flopped on my plate. So scratch that, I made some major changes, and the next batch was perfect.
Heavy on the blueberries and beets, light on the texture and sweetness. Just the way I’d been picturing them. I’ve been pairing one with my morning smoothie, usually with a swipe of butter. They are the perfect breakfast, or afternoon treat.
They’re easy, healthy, and delicious. Also vegan and gluten-free so everyone can enjoy! If you make them, tag me! I love to see your creations 🙂
- 2 flax eggs (or 2 eggs)
- 1 cup cooked beets, pureed
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup gluten-free oat flour (grind ½ cup oats in blender)
- ⅓ c blueberries
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix 2 Tbsp flax meal with 5 Tbsp water and set aside.
- Puree beets in food processor or blender.
- Mix flax eggs, beets, maple syrup, coconut oil, milk, and vanilla until well combined.
- Mix in salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and flours until a thick muffin mix forms.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Pour into 8 muffin tins, either spraying first or using muffin liners.
- Bake 30 minutes, until golden brown.
For smaller muffins, can make 12 or use mini muffin tins.
If any part of the muffin appears green, don't worry, it's just from the beet/blueberry juices combining.