One of our absolute faaaavorite snacks are roasted chickpeas. Well, chickpeas in general- on salads, in falafel, blended into hummus- they are more than a weekly staple for us. More like a daily staple. But we love them!
So we’ve been making roasted chickpeas for a while now, and found a few tricks to make them extra crispy. But today isn’t just about crispy chickpea tips- it’s about a new favorite flavor combination. COOL RANCH. Yep, like the doritos. Because I can’t be the only one who can’t get enough of that flavor combination.
These came about after trying Trader Joe’s Ranch Seasoned Crispy Chickpeas. Which are amazing and you should totally try them for the sake of convenience. But mine are healthified because 1) they aren’t fried and 2) they don’t incorporate buttermilk powder. But they are INSANELY DELICIOUS. The only downside? They’ll be gone within the first day;)
So- making roasted chickpeas! They are so easy, and take less than half an hour. You should definitely make them today. Here’s how you do it:
- Drain, rinse, and dry your chickpeas
- The drier they are, the crispier they will be! If some of the skins come off that is a-ok because the skin holds a lot of moisture, but don’t worry about getting them all off (I don’t!)
- Oil and season
- Cover in 2 tablespoons of oil of choice and season! Mix together so they are completely covered. Here’s a favorite blog post on cooking oils if you’re not sure what to use. The spices are listed in the recipe below.
- Spread on a pan (lined with parchment paper or silpat)
- Make sure there is room between the chickpeas so they get crispy rather than steaming. Also, a nonstick surface will make them even crispier. And mix them around halfway through cooking.
- At 400 degrees, for about 25 minutes. After that, let them cool. The longer they cool the crispier they taste! But it’s hard to resist once you smell them out of the oven and they’re still delicious right away!
See? Easy! I know you will all love these chickpeas. My favorite ways to enjoy them have been packing them in a small mason jar and packing them for snacks during the day or on roadtrips. We also love them on grain bowls or salads! They make the perfect crunchy crouton-esque topping. If you like these, make sure you tag me @karlcooks_ so I can see!
- 2 cans (15 oz.) chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp oil of choice (I used sunflower oil, but any will work)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Drain, rinse, and dry chickpeas (the drier they are, the crispier they will get)
- In a bowl, combine chickpeas oil, and spices
- Spread on a baking sheet (lined with parchment/Silpat) with plenty of space between
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, checking periodically and mixing around halfway through.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes (30 minutes is best) for ultimate crispiness.
Enjoy as snacks or on top of salads or grain bowls!