You all know my
obsession love of chickpea flour (here and here). And who doesn’t love banana bread? I’ve probably mentioned it before but I bake at least a loaf per week. It’s my favorite after-school snack/breakfast/dessert aka it’s just really good to have around. When baking this weekend, I decided to try it and since chickpea flour works so beautifully as a flour replacement, it came out perfect! Jake tried a slice fresh from the oven and couldn’t even tell the difference. And now it’s been our snack all week long. WIN!
I know you will all love this banana bread, because a) everyone loves banana bread and b) it’s gluten-free, vegan, and you only need 10 simple ingredients to make it! So you can whip it up this weekend. Or next weekend if you need to wait for some bananas to ripen. I always buy extra bananas just for that purpose. Their speckled brown peels remind me like clockwork it’s time for another loaf.
And this one was good enough to share- it’s soft and fluffy with a crispy crust and a sweet center thanks to the spattering of chocolate chippies throughout. But it’s not overly sweet, with just 3 Tablespoons of maple syrup (the ONLY sweetener) for the whole loaf – hello healthy. I love mine topped with a pat of butter, yogurt, or honey. Enough to satisfy my sweet teeth but not upset my belly.
This week has been busy as ever getting back into the swing of dental school (my 4th year!), so having a fresh loaf of banana bread makes it a little bit better. I hope you love it too! If you make this, let me know on instagram! xx Karlie
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp flaxmeal + 5 Tbsp water set aside for 5 minutes)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups chickpea flour (garbanzo bean flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Add in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into a prepared bread pan and bake 40 minutes until golden brown.
Freezes for a few months, or in the fridge for 10 days.