Summer solstice: the longest day of the year. Here in Michigan we get 15 hours (psst those are 3 cool sciencey links if you like to geek out like me), which is saying a lot since most of the year is spent with about 9. But for these 3 months of summer, all of the cold is forgotten and we are able to spend 15 hours outside (and we do), biking, walking, running, swimming, laying in the grass. Spending as much time as possible on our 11,000 lakes (including 5 giant ones). As much as I complain about the cold, lack of sunshine, and precarious driving conditions, I wouldn’t trade living in Michigan for anything. Mostly because of these 3 beautiful months.
So today I’m spending the morning outside, practicing yoga, reading a book, maybe even napping. We’ll b going for a bike ride tonight, seeing an outdoor movie, and hopefully buying a scoop of ice cream. Pretty much all of my summer bucket list items rolled up into one magical day. And yes, I have a job, but it only lasts from 9-5 so that leaves me a solid 7 hours to accomplish above items.
So as part of that summer celebration, I’m making pizza. And not just any pizza, but CHERRY BALSAMIC pizza. Because cherries scream Michigan summer to me. We even have a cherry festival. And I can bet I’ve eaten my body’s weight in cherries over the last 25 years spent living here. Spitting out cherry pits between dips in the lake and games of tetherball. Oh summer.
But this pizza! It’s made with my all-time favorite gluten-free crust, which if you haven’t tried yet you definitely should because it. is. awesome. Topped with kale pesto (yum yes – pesto also equals summer, no?), mozzarella cheese, and of course cherries. Finished with a balsamic glaze (I get mine at Trader Joe’s, drizzle it on everything and thank me later) and crushed walnuts, makes it over the top delicious. And perfect with a glass of rose. Bonus points if it’s sparkling!
It’s simple, healthy, light, and delicious. Making it the perfect accompaniment to your summer celebration and an all around win. Happy summer solsticing friends, enjoy!
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Kale Pesto
- 2 cups kale, torn from stems
- ¼ cup fresh basil (packed)
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh cherries, pitted
- Mozzarella cheese
- Balsamic Glaze
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and arrange a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Prepare crust: combine all of dry ingredients in a large bowl and combine. Drizzle olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and water slowly, mixing until a dough ball forms. Set aside.
- Prepare pesto: Combine all ingredients in a food processor until desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil over dough ball. Lightly coat a pizza stone or baking sheet with oil and plop your dough down, rolling it out into a pizza shape.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until it starts to appear dry but not browned.
- Remove from oven and add pesto, mozzarella cheese, fresh cherries, and walnuts.
- Bake for 10 more minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle with balsamic glaze.