We celebrated the first official weekend of summer the only way we know how, by being outside as much as physically possible. Friday night began with a walk over to the summer festival, an Ann Arbor specialty;) Full of food trucks, beer tents, live music, and yoga, it was the perfect way to spend a Friday night. I got some bomb tamales and Jake enjoyed a (vegan!) BBQ sandwich from the one and only Slows BBQ. Afterward we wandered to find some ice cream, and spent the rest of the night watching Moonlight. Spoiler alert: we loved it.
Saturday was even better, starting with a sunshine-y run with my best friend, catching up and barely noticing that any time had passed. We ended at the Farmer’s Market to stock up and felt like kids in a candy store. The market this time of year is bursting at the seams with fresh produce, herbs, flowers, greens- you name it and it was there. I was glad I only brought a $20, but nonetheless stocked up on lots of great stuff for the week. I’m planning to make Jackfruit sandwiches, BLT salads, and mushroom tacos.
Afterwards, I went floating in the river with friends, soaking up the sunshine and just being. It was glorious, but by the end I was exhausted. What is it about being out in the sun that just wipes us out!? So after a quick shower, we picked up some extra groceries from Trader Joe’s and headed home to make the best ever black bean burgers, complete with sweet potato fries, and spicy mayo. Took another walk, and called it a night. Sunday morning was yoga, brunch, and a few hours spent reading in the grass, before barbecuing with Jake’s family at night. Oh and enjoying fresh berry crisp for dessert. Happy weekend indeed.
I’m so grateful to have the space in my life to just be. To spend a whole weekend with no worries, catching up with friends, basking in the summer weather, and being happy. It’s unbelievable that it’s already almost July, but Jake and I were just talking about how much more special the summer seems now that we’re older. Maybe because we work all day, and realize that the days off we have are fleeting. But I know that I have at least 2 more months to savor every last bit, and I’m going to.
So if you’re like me and looking to make summer feel even longer, here’s some quick and easy TOAST ideas. Toast- because, it’s simple, healthy, and requires no turning on of the oven or stepping away from your daily plans. It’s breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack fare and can be made with whatever you have around. But here are my ideas to inspire.
First up: avocado toast (the classic never dies) with a turmeric poached egg. Beautiful + delicious. It’s the perfect combo of carbs, protein, and fat that makes you feel energized + satisfied for the day ahead. Followed by yogurt topped toast (try it!) with mint, pistachios, and honey for a sweeter option still full of good for you ingredients. Next up, I coated a slice of toast with pesto (I used leftover kale pesto) with fresh farmer’s market cherry tomatoes. And last, but certainly not least, more avocado! This time topped with tahini, nutritional yeast, and sea salt. They’re all amazing, and nourishing, and fun. So make them:) Or share your favorite combos with me below! Have a wonderful week everyone!
- 4 slices bread, toasted (I like this brand of gluten-free bread)
- 1 avocado, halved and sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Pure sea salt
- 1 tsp tahini
- ¼ cup yogurtof choice
- 1 mint leaf
- 1 Tbsp pistachios, shelled
- 1 tsp raw honey
- ¼ cup pesto (I used my kale pesto)
- 2 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Toast 4 slices of bread.
- Mash half of the avocado in a small bowl. Keep the second half in thin vertical slices.
- Boil water in a small pot. Reduce to a simmer, then add in 1 tsp vinegar and pinch of turmeric. Swirl with a slotted spoon creating a whirlpool. Crack an egg in a small ramekin, and slowly drop it into swirling water. Let cook for 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and drain onto paper towel.
- Make toast: top slice one with mashed avocado and poached egg, finish with sea salt. Top slice two with yogurt, mint, pistachios, and drizzled honey. Top slice three with pesto and cherry tomato slices Top the final piece with sliced avocado, drizzle with tahini, and sprinkle with nutritional yeast and sea salt.