Mashed sweet potatoes, sautéed tempeh, roasted chickpeas, quinoa, and greens combine to create a flavorful, protein packed plant based meal. It takes just 30 minutes to put together, making it perfect weeknight comfort food.
What is your weekday dinner routine? For us, we try and pick out one meal from a cookbook or a blog on the weekend. We then go grocery shopping and to the farmer’s market and buy those ingredients, plus staples such as beans, nuts, sweet potatoes, quinoa, and avocado and throw in whatever fresh, local vegetables look good. It’s very low maintenance, and leaves plenty of room for creativity. The other nights of the week, simple bowls such as this one are cooked up and they are always SO satisfying.
So I wanted to share this recipe because it ended up being really special. The combination of mashed sweet potatoes, spiced and roasted chickpeas, tempeh seasoned and sautéed to perfection and coconut quinoa resulted in something I could only refer to as a soul bowl. Because it felt so good for my soul. Healthy, vibrant, flavorful, sweet, and salty. All the textures were hit and I was left feeling so satisfied.
If you haven’t tried tempeh before, try it! It’s a vegan protein source made from fermented soy. In the same family as tofu, but without the mushy texture. It’s been akinned to the ground beef of vegetarian protein. I buy mine at the farmer’s market from a local brand, but you can find it at most health food stores, including Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, etc.
It tastes best marinated and sautéed or baked so maximum flavor. Definitely give it a try if you haven’t 🙂 Otherwise, simply swap out tempeh for the protein source of your choice. But I’d say for the first time, try this bowl as is. After that — get creative! Use the vegetables that look good at your market that week, add a grain, a source of protein, and a sauce of your choice. Whatever you do, make it yours – feed your soul.
- ½ block tempeh
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 can coconut milk
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- ½ tsp each coriander, cumin, chili powder, paprika, cinnamon, and ginger
- 1 handful watercress, or greens of choice for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Marinate tempeh in oil, vinegar, and tamari mixture at least 20 minutes.
- Boil sweet potato in a pot ~20 minutes until fork-tender.
- Toss chickpeas with seasonings and place on a baking sheet in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Combine quinoa, coconut milk, and salt in a pot. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Once quinoa is done, sautée marinated tempeh in a pan with a bit of oil, about 4 minutes per side.
- Drain sweet potato and mash in pot with 1 Tbsp melted vegan butter.
- Build bowls by adding sweet potato mash, quinoa, tempeh, and chickpeas to a bowl and top with greens. Add dressing of choice, if desired.